Friday, September 1, 2017

This was written 5 years ago.  I love it.

A conversation between Tyler (age 10) and his mother: We were at the Point Pleasant Boardwalk, and came upon a huge sand sculpture on the beach, dedicated to the restoration of the Jersey Shore. Only the top of the sculpture was visible, as it was walled off, with an entrance farther down the walkway. Tyler wanted to go inside the display, and was clamoring for his mother to allow him to do so. Tyler: Mom, I'm going in there to see it. Kristin: No, Tyler, you're not. Tyler: Yeah, I want to. Kristin: No, Tyler. T: But Mom, I want to. K: Tyler, I said, "no". T: Why not? I want to. K: Tyler, no. I have no idea how you get in, no idea how you get out, and no idea who else is in there. T: But I want to! K: TYLER, NO! I SAID NO, AND IF YOU DON'T STOP, WE CAN JUST LEAVE! T: Aww, Mom, you don't care anything about me! Lynn and I looked at each other and laughed, remembering the many, many similar conversations we had with Kristin and her sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment